Thorny Devil Craft Beer News: Fermentation

Thorny Devil Craft Beer News: Fermentation

Thorny Devil is Australia’s best, favourite Craft Beer


pale ale, blonde ale, best Australian craft beer, buy craft beer online, online craft beer, buying craft beer, where to buy craft beer, Australian pale ale, Australian blonde ale, best pale ale, best blonde ale, craft beer hotels, cheap craft beer, Thorny Devil Craft Beer, Thorny Devil Pale Ale, Thorny Devil Blonde Ale


Thorny Devil, one of Australia’s most awarded craft beer is available online, at bottle shops or within your local pub, club or restaurant: if not, ask us and we will organise all.

Want Australia’s best Pale Ale. Need Australia’s most loved Blonde Ale. Desire Australia’s most popular craft beers, ciders: Thorny Devil is yours = yes?…

Our craft beers are 100% natural and we give all a money back guarantee: you will love our craft beer; the best in Australia = yes?…

Thorny Devil wants you to live and learn all about craft beer: so we give you all the craft beer news = globally; hope the following article helps you understand more about craft beer:



This will be a nice, quick post. This batch of pale ale takes roughly 7 days to ferment. Mine just got done, so I thought I’d go over what went on during my fermentation. Let’s take a look at how it went.


After putting the wort into the carboy, I attached the airlock and left it sit in my basement, away from light and temperature change. This means away from windows and things like the furnace, my beer fridge, and water heater. All things that can change the temperature.


Days 1-4 saw a fair amount of bubbling, which is expected and what should be going on. A picture of this is shown to the left here. As you can see, it is happily fermenting.



Super Ferment!



On day 5, I checked on the carboy and got quite a surprise. My beer had gone into super ferment mode! The airlock was totally full of crud, and when I took the airlock out, it was like opening an over-carbonated bottle. I got a little spray out of it!


Obviously not a good thing, so I got a growler of sani water, sanitized my hose, and used this in place of my airlock. Most recipes actually say to do this first, and I wanted to, but I thought it best to follow the recipe instructions.




For your brew, I recommend using this method to start, and after the first 2-3 days, placing the airlock in.


Method for venting first fermentation:

  1. Place the stopper in the carboy.
  2. Fill a growler with sani-water, about 2/3 way.
  3. Place growler in bucket.
  4. Insert sanitized hose into stopper, making sure it is not touching the liquid.
  5. Inser other end into growler so that the tubing end is well under water.
  6. Make sure it stays in the growler, and you have your very own large airlock!

This method works great in the beginning when large bursts of fermentation can clog your airlock, as it did to me.


This super fermentation went on for about an hour longer, then it started to die down again to a normal fermentation. At this time I replaced the airlock, clean and sanitized of course, and let it continue.


Day 7 I noticed no more bubbling, and made sure that 24 hours elapsed without any more bubbles. When this was the case, It was time to bottle.





Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *